Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Memories of Cottages

I'm off to a relative's cottage Wednesday afternoon, so I probably won't post again until after Labour Day (Sept. 6).

Arthur and I are saving up for our own cottage. We haven't made a very big nest egg as of yet. In 2 years we'll be finished paying off our student loans and Benjy won't be going to daycare (gotta love the full-day of school in Grade 1). Then - we should be able to put aside a big wad every month towards our cottage. After that, it should happen quickly.

My favorite memories are of going to a cottage for two weeks every summer in Port Stanley with my parents. I loved it. And every time I go to someone else's cottage, I don't want to go home. I want one for my own.

Top 10 things I love about cottages:

1. Jumping off the dock into the lake.
2. Spending more time in the lake than on land.
3. Listening to the "cottage noises" from the dock.
4. Beautiful, brown, perfectly-toasted marshmallows.
5. Seeing all the stars that you can't see in the city.
6. Rubbing sun screen on my daughter's perfect back.
7. Jigsaw puzzles on rainy days.
8. Having no plans. None.
9. Sleeping like a baby at night.
10. Making memories for my kids.

5 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Great imagery. Anyone who doesn't prefer the bucolic life of the country over the overheated insanity of the city needs a serious head check. I'm counting on my first book to put us on that path as well. It had damn well better sell well!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Sounds great. I hope you have a great time.
Enjoy the lake, and that cookie smell for the rest of us.

My family did a lot of that stuff when we used to live back east. Not so much after we moved to Texas though. Outdoors isn't the same here. There's no proper woods. I remember the woods back there actually seeming mysterious and dangerous. You know, the kind that Hansel and Gretel got lost in. Here it's just, "Oh, look, it's a couple of trees around a creek."

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Amelia said...

The cottage sounds great, there is nothing better than getting back to nature. Memories? Yes those type of things will be memories for your children, which is after all what their childhood is.

Have a great time there.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Maria,

I have to admit that there are downsides to cottage living (although I can't relate to the kangaroo poop thing or the lack of cable). I have more spider and bug bites than I care to share, and my nose is a little crispy. But I still love the cottage life!

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best place I have found for generator mitsubishi is generator mitsubishi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home