Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Left Hand, Right Brain

Have you noticed that a disproportionate number of software developers are left-handed? I haven't done a scientifically accurate study or anything, but it seems to me that there is a higher percentage of left-handedness among software developers than among the general population.

This supports my theory that software development is more of an art than a science. It's all about right-brained creativity.

Benjy is left-handed. She wants to be a ballerina (what 4 year old girl doesn't?), but maybe I should convince her to be a programmer. Hmmm.

3 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Ahh well that's easy enough to answer. It's because their evil.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Lol. Bad experience with a programmer, Janet? Or was it a bad experience with a south-paw?

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Dean said...

I've long puzzled about software development.

Good developers are more than just good programmers. I've worked with people who could solve the most fiendishly difficult technical problem elegantly, but who couldn't come up with a workable, maintainable, extensible design.

Then there are people who create lovely interfaces and elegant module designs, but who can't seem to write anything without a zillion stupid bugs in it.

Software development is either an art dressed up as a science, or it's a science wearing the platform heels and blonde wig of art.

I'm right-handed, by the way. But I work primarily in SQL, which might explain it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home