Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I love deadlines....

I write articles (among other things) for IT publications for a living. One thing I’ve finally learned is that I’m highly deadline-motivated*. If there isn’t a defined deadline or milestone, you might as well forget about receiving output from me. I finally made the mental connection that my novel will never get finished if I don’t put some real deadlines with hard consequences in place.

To this end, I’ve committed to producing 10 pages per week, due every Monday. The consequence for under- or non-delivery is the revocation of my debit card. Harsh, I know. But the thought of not being able to have my morning Timmy’s or a Wendy’s Mandarin Chicken Salad might just be the impetus I need. Last night was the first day of the new rules, and I produced my required 2 pages. Not the best quality I every put out by a long shot, but my plan is just to spew it out and then edit it. If I get caught up on every adjective and metaphor I’ll never get through it.

Wish me luck!

*Which leads me to my favorite Douglas Adams quote: "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

7 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Blogger Dean said...

Oh, luck to you.

I needs to git me some of that self-discipline.

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Speaking of douglas adams I'm reading bad internet rumours that say the upcoming movies is a htachet job of the mans work.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

My wife threatened to take away my computer and make me write with pen and paper if I don't get my writer's butt in gear. I think I'd be writing diner menus if I wasn't so motivated by deadlines.

Can't wait to read the result of your debit-loss-avoidance writing jag.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Amelia said...

What a great idea! I'm waiting for your novel to be published... so you better stick to your deadline ;)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Steve said...

One of my favorite Steven Wright quotes:

"I'm such a procrastinator...I got a birthmark when I was eight".

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger kilgorsky said...

When I don't meet the deadline, I'm angrier with myself than the person I didn't do the job for should be.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Lol! Yes - I've been really bad, not only about writing posts, but also about reading all of you wonderful writers.

My apologies. So far - the 10 pages a week isn't working out. I've reset my goal at 5 pages/week until such time as I can get my ass in gear. As soon as I get a chapter finished I will post it on a new blog and link to it! I promise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home