Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Some heavy thinking masked as jovial levity

One of my colleagues is a very spiritual person. Actually, several of them are, but this one in particular is very educated, very spiritual, very Christian (in the true sense of the meaning), and has a level of faith that I'm not accustomed to seeing. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, even though we don't agree on a number of issues. We inadvertently began talking about the existence of God the other day (I know, I know: how incredibly inappropriate to discuss at work!), and something he said made me think for a second. He said that the world was very obviously purposefully and deliberately created by a higher power, or something to that effect.

I knew there was a flaw in that statement, but of course I couldn't come up with it at the time. So in true George Kastanza form, I'll give my very late come-back now:

One of my favorite Douglas Adams quotations, from Richard Dawkin's "Lament for Douglas" goes something like this:

. . . imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - 'fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise.

5 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I'd also think that, even if you accept that the world was created by a higher power (and I'm not saying that I do), it doesn't prove the ongoing existence of said power. All you have to do is look at the pyramids to know that the work often survives its creator by a significant margin.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Dean said...

This is so commentworthy... I feel like a geek for not commenting at length, but I have to run. But, in the words of Aaahie (now the gubnor of California), "Ah'll be bahk."

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well this is interesting indeed; however, this quote doesn't negate the fact that the world was meant to have the puddle in it. Why? Well, because the puddle existed in the first place.

Just because the poor puddle evaporated and had what seems to have been a meaningless existence, doesn't mean the world wasn't made for it.

Now the question of who/what made the world for the puddle... that's another question...

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Retroboy said...

Sorry for the late comment, but I can't resisit.

The world around us, is, what it is today, becasue of the actions of its participants. There is no "Great Power" or "Supreme Creator" who taylored this world so that we could live harmoneously upon it. Those that could not adapt are, fortunately, no longer among the living... I think they call that "Evolution" or something crazy like that.

The puddle quote... hits the mark beautifully.

Long live the evolved!!!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Where did the super-dense material that exploded and became the universe (and the puddle) come from?
There IS a Creator, and he loves you. Call to him and he will hear you and answer your prayer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home