Thursday, March 17, 2005

Weight Loss Truisms

As I move towards adopting a healthier lifestyle, I seem to have attracted the attention of every dieter within a 10-km radius. For these people (and for myself), here are some truisms to keep it all in perspective.

  • If you’re not a happy fat person you won’t be a happy thin person. You don’t gain self-contentment from losing weight.
  • Squeezing your ass into an ill-fitting size 12 pant does not make you look thinner than wearing the size 14 that fits correctly. (Cut off the tag if it makes you feel better).
  • On the same line of thought, wearing tapered pants only emphasizes the size of your ass in relation to the size of your ankle. Opt for straight leg, wide leg, or boot cut pants. Believe me on this one.
  • Don’t skip your Tai Bo class because you’re too tired. You’ll feel so much better after you go. Really. I promise.
  • No – I don’t want a copy of your miracle diet – I’m trying to get healthier, not thinner at all costs.
  • Opt for whole grains instead of white flour, pasta, and rice. Honestly, your body treats white flour the same as sugar.
  • Sweet potatoes are a gift from the nutrition gods: they are both tasty and highly nutritious.
  • Be good to yourself: do what is good for your mind, body, and spirit.
  • Don’t benchmark yourself against others. We are all different, and that’s a very good thing.
  • Only you can make you feel bad about yourself. And only you can make you feel good about yourself.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Dean said...

As a general rule, I've found that when I eat as I should, I tend to drop down to a more reasonable weight.

When my pants are tight, I can almost always look back and realize that I've been eating too much sweet/sugary/prepared stuff.

This is the case at the moment.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I can think of so many people who should be reading your well-positioned thoughts. THe kicker for me is this: "I’m trying to get healthier, not thinner at all costs."

With that in mind, I cringe when I hear someone saying he/she is "on a diet." These people so miss the point. It's no wonder our society is becoming morbidly obese as fast as it is.

I'll be keeping this in mind as I roll my bike out and continue my own efforts to stay healthy. It's not easy sometimes, but there can be no other way.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

This is a perfect way of looking at this issue: "I’m trying to get healthier, not thinner at all costs."

Imagine if the rest of the world read, and understood, your words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home