Monday, February 07, 2005

More than just hot water and soap

Like the Captain of the 'B'-Ark (from that wholely remarkable book) , and like Douglas Adams himself, I am a great believer in the hot bath. It cures all, in fact. For instance, I woke up this morning with the same incurable headache I'd gone to bed with last night. Shirking the Advil liquid gels that had let me down the night before, I instead had a relaxing soak among my bubbles and assorted bath paraphenalia. I emerged a new woman, and the headache has, for all intents and purposes, fled the scene.

Similarly, I was without an angle for my latest article today, but the bath also cured that. Writers block is no match for a good, hot bath. With bubbles.

In my opinion, baths cure colds, headaches, stomach aches, various lower intestinal irritations, IBS, womanly afflictions, and spousal annoyances (the last requires the addition of a chilled chardonnay - consumed, not poured in).

I've been able to pass the bath philosophy on to my daughter, who believes that baths, like crazy straws, hold mystical healing powers. Oatmeal baths are doubly impressive because they also relieve the symptoms of chicken pox, eczema, and impetigo.

So, the next time you're feeling stressed, chilly, or mildly ill, I recommend a nice long soak in a very hot bath. Bubbles are optional.

5 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Dean said...

Dang. I took your suggestion and now all of my coworkers are looking at me. And I think I'm running out of bubbles...

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

LOL. Perhaps the Laconic Russians would like to join you?

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I'd follow your suggestion, but the bubble bath people have yet to develop a suitably masculine product. Apparently, dudes don't tub it.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Trillian said...

Wheelson: you're right, it's all about the tub. I have a funny story about how I got my truly wonderful tub. I'll have to share it some time.

Steve: The trick is to use your manly shampoo or body wash as bubble bath. It's been a long time since I bought actual bubble bath liquid. I just use whatever shampoo I'm using.

Ken: Thanks for the comment. Not owning a tub can negatively affect your ability to take hot baths. Since you take hot showers, you are excused.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger gg said...

You have inspired me to take a long bath right now! (With bubbles)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home