Tuesday, January 25, 2005

It's all about the ending...

Arthur and I have taken to watching the original films of recent re-makes (like The Manchurian Candidate, The Italian Job, and Ocean’s Eleven). I have to admit that the pace of these movies is a little slower than I’m used to (being brought up on Sesame Street and Nintendo), and the dialogue isn’t as snappy (having become accustomed to Guy Ritchie and Quentin Tarantino), but I have to admit that the endings kick ass.

There’s no happy ending in any of these movies. I didn’t think there was a better ending than the one in the original Italian Job until I saw the original Ocean’s Eleven. These aren’t typical Hollywood endings. I think Guy Ritchie’s movies come close to achieving the same kind of endings, if I’m not giving too much away for those of you who haven’t seen some of these movies.

Anyway, if you hate a typical ending, I suggest you check out some of these original movies (or a Guy Ritchie flick, for that matter). While the plot and character development seem to drag in the originals, the filmmakers had a sense of humor when it came to the final scenes.

4 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I bought Dean a set of original films noir - The Setup, Asphalt Jungle, and 3 others - and they're great. The pacing is very different than modern films, and I have to keep reminding myself that the cliches weren't cliches when the films were made. And none of them have happy endings - one rule of film noir seems to be that everybody dies in the end. Preferably in a hail of gunfire. Or a car crash. Or a car crash brought about by a hail of gunfire. A refreshing change from all the 'happily ever after' endings we get now.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Better- movies that aren't predictable
Worse- movies that are predictably boring

Six of one, half a dozen of another.:)

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Retroboy said...

I'm with sxKitten, an ending where the characters don't get what they deserve (good or bad).
I'm all for the saintly protagonist spontaneously combusting just before he kisses the girl at the climax of the feature, or the oppugnant character getting laid and driving the RV into the sunset. It's hard to get wrapped up in a movie when all you can think while you're watching it is "I know exactly how this is going to end!".
The one issue I do find with these films is: I find it difficult to read the white subtitles during a daylight scene!
Wow, this could have turned into a good post on my own blog!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm rather content to settle for the sleepy predictability of a Julia Roberts film-ending. Don't they all come from the same roomful of monkeys anyway?

It's not me talking. It's the drugs, k?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home