Monday, January 24, 2005

The Great Train Adventure

So, while working at home today (the car's in for a check-up) I planned out a little day trip for the kiddies and me while Arthur goes on an ice fishing trip with the Retroboy and Eddie.

I remember when I was about Frankie's age, my favorite uncle would take us to the Ex (Canadian National Exhibition) in Toronto every summer. He didn't drive so we would take the VIA Rail and I always loved it. It was almost the best part of the trip; I liked being able to walk around and buy 7-Up in a glass. So, of course, Benjy and Frankie are desperate to go on a train, too. Trains and hotels hold a special appeal for them. Some kind of exotic, romantic notion. They've done the hotel thing, and loved it, so they're holding out that the train must be great too. I hope they're not disappointed.

I've booked tickets to take the train to Toronto, where we will then take the subway and then the bus to the Ontario Science Centre. It should be fun if I don't get lost. It will cost about $40 more than if I took my car, but then I don't have to drive in Toronto by myself, and the kids get to do the train thing, which will be cool for them, especially since they don't have to wear seatbelts and they can buy food (What is it about kids and buying food? Why is it better than bringing food??). I'm not sure what they're going to think about the subway or the bus (I can't say I love them, but I'm not 9 or 4).

I'm very excited and can't wait to tell the kids when they get home today!!!!!

I thought about calling the other Ice Fishermen's wives to see if they want to go too, but I haven't for two reasons:

1. Frankie is much older than their kids and thinks little kids are "lame". (Actually, Benjy is older than all of them, but one as well). He always gets the shaft in these matters, with him pouting and me scolding, so I thought it would be nice if I didn't have to do that this time.

2. The whole train thing makes it seem like an adventure, and maybe it's selfish, but I don't really want to share it. I'll be the only adult, so that means we can go by my rules, which involves traveling light and moving at a pace ideal for my kids. Once in a while, it's nice when you don't have to accommodate anyone else. The bigger the group, the more difficult it becomes for everyone to agree on the same thing, or to make a decision.

This isn't in anyway a blast against my friends - I love them. It's true of anyone, and if they invited me somewhere, they'd have to make the same accommodations. Everyone does. I'm just not going to for this trip. It will be our special little adventure (until I get lost on the subway - then I'll wish I had another adult with me!!!!)

1 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Retroboy said...

Two things:

1. Good luck on the subway.
2. Can you pick me up a Chia Shrek while you're in Toronto?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home