Monday, February 07, 2005

Honk, Honk

We are all guilty of having “hang ups.” For instance, I have a girlfriend won’t let her kids drink apple juice (too much sugar, I guess). Arthur is paranoid about knives (even if you’re just cutting your sandwich). My daughter has a phobia about escalators. I have another friend who doesn’t like other people’s hair to inadvertently touch him.

I have a few “weird” hang-ups, myself. The worst of these is public nose blowing. To me, blowing your nose in front of other people is like sitting on a toilet in the middle of a crowded room, in plain view of everyone. I don’t do it, and I hate to see (or hear it). I appear to be a minority in this respect, though, as many of my friends and co-workers don’t think twice about giving their nose a vigorous blow in shared office space, during meetings, after a meal, at a party, or in a movie theatre. Unless I’m at home with the family, I try to take my nose blowing to the bathroom, or at least a private corner away from everyone else. If I can’t get to a bathroom, I discretely dab my nose with a tissue until I can make a getaway.

What do you think? Should I get help?


4 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Yup, that would be me.

I'm usually a wait-till-you're-alone nose blower. But I've been so nasal these past couple of weeks that I've had no choice but to tick off everyone around me. I'll apologize now and hope I haven't alienated everyone I work and live with (well, chances are I already have through my other idiosyncracies, but that's a story for another day.)

I hate brushing my teeth when anyone else is around. I must be completely alone, preferably in a part of the house where no one will even hear me. It's my personal time, I guess.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Oh dear. I'm not pointing you out in particular. I've just noticed that I'm the only one that has a hang up about it. I also don't like feet, or eating bananas in public. But these are other posts entirely!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I try to blow my nose away from other people, too. But I had a wretched cold a few weeks ago, and wasn't able to stay home. If I'd retreated to the bathroom everytime I had to blow my nose, I'd have been camped out there all day. So I apologised profusely to my officemates, and did what I had to do to get through the day. Which included sitting in on a 3 and a half hour conference call - no escape there! I was taking minutes, so I couldn't even leave the room.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Diane said...

You are not alone here, I agree completely. Although I do have empathy for people with a cold - they should do whatever they need to do, whenever they need to do it, in order to feel better.

I have never been a nose blower, in public or in private. I hardly ever blow my nose. On the few occasions I have done it, it seems to induce a sneezing fit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home