Thursday, January 13, 2005

Trillain is at an impasse

As May 6th draws nearer, I am inevitably compelled to change my online persona. For those of you who don't understand, shame on you: clearly you have neither read enough mid-seventies British comedies or kept on top of current events. As an H2G2 purist, I understand the origin of my moniker, but I fear that once the movie is out, I will be seen as a) a big giant poser taking advantage of a recent hit-movie character, or worse b) naming myself after a character in a huge flop of a movie.

Either way, I'm seriously thinking about changing my blogger name, but will have to think about it some more. I am not taking suggestions on a new name, as the irony of having other people choose my persona is too rich, even for me.

5 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Wheelson said...

No you don't! Anyone who is geeky enough to put 4 and 2 together and figure out how cool your online name is, they'll also notice (as I just did) that your gmail name is even MORE hard core. If anyone should ever think you are a poser, show them the gmail address, they'll recoil in shock and awe. A pure gmail address like that prooves that you are not a poser.

As for the movie being a flog, can it be worse than the TV show? Also, even if the movie is a flop, won't we still love it like a mother loves her tempermental child?

If I haven't yet made my case I will now share a personal and painful story. My online name was Majikthise (you know who that is right). I loved that name and thought it was perfect. Except Americans say it wrong. They pronounce it "Magic Thighs" and then giggle. Tired of having to endure the butchering of my beloved character name I dumped it for my current nic given to me by a dear friend. Could I get majikthise@gmail.com if I wanted? Nope, already taken.

I now must live with the shame of turning my back on my favorite fantasy world and favorite book. You don't want to live with that shame.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

That's a very touching story, actually. Vroomfondel would have been infinitely easier to pronounce, but it's a moot point since everyone knows and loves you as Wheelson now!

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger sxKitten said...

I'm with Wheelson - it's a fitting tribute to a great character. If anyone calls you a poser, sic Wowbagger on 'em.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

I wish I wasn't so influenced by the opions of geeks. Alas, I am. Trillian stays. Damned the bad movie reviews!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I'm glad you won't be changing your online name. When I first saw it I wished I had chosen it too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home