Tuesday, November 23, 2004

My Big Fat Obnoxious Cross Dresser

A former colleague of mine recently began the process of gender reassignment. I can't imagine that this is an easy thing to do - especially for him, er her, as she's a largish programmer that works with a lot of intolerant small town guys. She has to spend the next year as a woman before she can undergo surgery.

At first I thought it was a joke, but I've had enough conversations with people from the company (and her) to realize that it's serious. Not to make light of the situation, but can you image if it was an elaborate hoax? What if she had cameras everywhere and it was some kind of reality tv series in the making? Like My Big Fat Obnoxious Transexual?

Whenever I would see reality tv series like Punk'd I used to always wonder why these people aren't more suspicious - I mean come on! A naked guy walking around in a clothing store? A beautiful, wealthy girl marrying a totally obnoxious unattractive loser? Give me a break!

But then something like this happens, and you realize that to ask them if they're filming a tv reality show would be somewhat insensitive to an already delicate situation. Live and learn.

1 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

There but for the grace of God go I. We'll often never know how close we came in the evolution of time and space to being in that person's shoes. My usual strategy is to say nothing until I'm sure I won't offend the individual. I hope things go well for him: I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to be going through this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home