Saturday, November 13, 2004

Hope Springs Eternal

While sitting in the waiting room of my daughter's dance class, I thumbed through home decorating magazines. I absolutely love them. They're so full of potential. They give me hope that I could have a house with a fully decorated and organized laundry room, French antiques in the foyer, a room specifically designed for gift wrapping, and a living room whose central focus is not the television.

Sadly, this is not my life. And every time I read these magazines (and it's often), I begin to realize how many people don't have children. Clearly, these homes cannot be inhabited by whirlwind furniture destroyers. I do not, and could not own, an antique, pointy-edged mahogany coffee table. I have a highly-scratched veneer jobbie that opens at the top (so I can throw all our mess in it when company comes over), purchased along with my groceries at the local Zehrs. My ultra suede couch was purchased, not because it looks like suede, but because it repels purple popsicle stains. When company comes over, I have to scrub the toothpaste spit off the bathroom mirror and close the kids' bedroom doors.

But the magazines give me hope. Hope that someday (we'll be paroled in 14 years) I might be able to have furniture that is coaster-worthy. Ah, to dream!

7 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Diane said...

What you have is far, far greater, though.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Dean said...

We (actually, Chris) covered the top of our Ikea veneer coffee table with foam and naugahyde because the smallest person in the house required 2 trips to the clinic to repair his face.

We look at paint colours (our walls need paint) and consider them based on the criteria you mention. We shop at Ikea, because if it gets trashed, well, you're not out all that much.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Heh almost 30 and still ruining my parents furniture.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

When I look at my black coffee tables with chunks of finish worn away by little playing hands, and paint that refuses to come clean because someone - no one who chooses to be identified, mind you - shared an unidentified art project with said vertical surface, I think of the silent, visually-perfect alternative.

Although if might make for great magazine fodder, I hardly think it would be a place we'd want to live. Thanks for helping the parents among us accept just how distant perfection will be until the little ones leave the nest.

I just wish they'd open an Ikea closer to us!

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Amelia said...

Those magazines depress me. It's comforting to know that way across the other side of the world, mothers just like me are also scrubbing toothpaste off the mirror!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger WDV said...

thank God I'm not there yet.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Trillian said...

pbw's mom: Ah. Good call. Clearly, we'll have to sell the house as soon as they go off to college.

diva: I agree (most of the time).

Dean: "Ikea" is our mantra.

Rich: heh. heh. Shame on you.

Carmi: I would be willing to trade houses with one of those magazine people for a week, and I'll let you know.

Amelia: It's beyond me how you get toothpaste on the mirror without willful and malicious intent.

withknivesout: Save yourself. It's not too late!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home