Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Grilled Cheese, Anyone?

I don’t cook. I’m not saying that I can’t cook, although others have said that. After learning about fire safety at school, Benjy came home and asked us if we test our smoke detectors. Without missing a beat, Frankie declared, “Yeah, every time Mom cooks!”

Arthur is a wonderful chef. He loves to cook. When he’s home we eat well. When he’s not, well, we go out. That’s just the way it is. We eat out a lot when Arthur goes away on business. While stuffing fries in her mouth, Benjy once said, “I love eating out. When I’m big and my husband goes away, I’m going to eat out every day, too!”

In my defense, I can make basic things that don’t involve a lot of prep work, imagination, or forethought. I could grill chicken – if someone remembered to take it out of the freezer for me. I could make tacos if someone cut everything up ahead of time. But when I come home and Kung Pow Chicken, Almond Guy Ding, and sticky rice are simmering on the stove, I ask you, where is the incentive for me to learn more?

5 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Exactly! An excellent example of my philosphy of knowing what I do well and knowing what I don't do well - and avoiding those things I don't do well.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I love men that cook.

I don't currently know any, so I eat a lot of Chef Boyardee. That's better than Ramen, right?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Next time you make grilled cheese, make sure you don't douse the face of the Virgin Mary in ketchup!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Most Recipies in any big cook book can be easily followed even by the most amateur of cooks. It just take time and patience. Certainly a skill worth speding a little time on for any single person as the diet of pasta and more pasta gets to be tiring after a while.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

My wife's skills in the kitchen are matched only by her skills in a classroom. I know I'm biased, but she's simply gifted in both. I can hold my own, but my fluffy omelettes and banana cakes don't have as much pizzazz as a gourmet multi-course meal.

I'll stick to pathetic little words. You can't eat 'em - not literally, anyway - but they can be fulfilling in other ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home