Friday, July 16, 2004

The Importance of Being Emailed

Do you ever have one of those days when you can see the threads between disparate pieces of information? I'm having one of those days.
 
I was listening to the audiotape of The World Below by Sue Miller in my car today and she was talking about how email snippets kept over time act like a diary for us now, meaning that anyone who went to the trouble of going through our various email correspondances might get an idea of who we were and what we were all about. Very interesting, I thought.
 
Then, I ran into Jason Clarke's Bigger Boat post today that starts off on the email as a waste of paper rant, but turns into a discussion of how email is really a repository of ourselves over time. He also discusses Salon.com's Too Much of a Good Thing on how email is inefficient and needs to be replaced, which brought me to Carmi Levy's recent article in Processor.com called Turn it all Off which makes basically the same point.
 
I, personally am addicted to email in about the same way I am blogging, so it was all very interesting. I like when I can make all of those connections. I wonder if it was because I finally rented Signs last night?

1 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Oooh, you mentioned my article. Neat stuff...it's always a cool thing to have my work cited.

I think I wrote my piece before that Salon dude did. Which means I've been copied! Violated!

The shame of it all. I feel this growing need to wash my hands.

Carmi out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home