Thursday, July 15, 2004

I'm an apathetic loser, but I don't care

It's recently come to my attention that I'm an apathetic loser. I've suspected as much for some time, but I've confirmed it now. I came to this realization while I was listing out the things I'm "in charge of" at home.

I don't cook. It's not that I can't cook (which I can't), it's that Arthur likes cooking, so I never bothered to learn, and now I expect him to do the cooking.

I don't garden. It's not that I don't like to garden, just that I didn't really know how, and Arthur seems to enjoy it, so I don't bother with that either.

I don't take care of our finances. OK - in this case, Arthur is a financial advisor, so it would seem kind of silly if I took care of it. I'm not sure on which days of the month I even get paid - but Arthur knows.

I don't buy groceries. I usually come along for the ride, but I don't make the purchasing decisions. My rationale is that Arthur is the one who cooks, so he should decide what we buy.

So, what do I do, you might ask? That's a reasonable question. I've figured out that, basically, I do all the things that Arthur doesn't like doing. Not because I like doing them, just because there's a void there that needed to be filled, and since I have extra time, what with not having to cook, garden, shop, or pay the bills, it falls to me to complete them.

So - I do the laundry (sometimes Arthur will help wash the laundry, but I generally fold it, and ALWAYS put it away), I clean the toilets (ah - the glamour), I help the kids with homework, I empty the dishwasher, and I talk to our mothers on the phone. I'm sure there's other things, but I'm noticing that the list isn't very interesting, and doesn't promise to get better if I really think about it.

If I wasn't such an apathetic loser, I could have claimed the more interesting household tasks, but I didn't really care. So now I do all the mundane chores. I could fight for my right to garden, but (and this is how I'm sure I'm an apathetic loser), it doesn't make that big of a difference to me...

So why am I even ranting? I don't know - just something to write about...guess I'll get back to scrubing toilets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home