Thursday, July 08, 2004

Old People and Cars Don't Mix

This is what happens when you don't administer driving tests to the elderly early enough. This was taken from a Dayton Ohio police red-light enforecement camera. (Don't worry - the old lady and the Subaru driver escaped with minor injuries and the pedestrian lived). You can read the whole account at Snopes.

I can certainly understand why she was driving so fast - if you've only got a few years left on this earth, you'd likely be in a hurry to get everything done. It makes more sense than the blue hairs driving at the speed of snail in their white Cadillacs...But who am I? I'll see when I'm 75 I guess.

2 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I love watching senior citizens (it's not PC to call them geezers or fossils or grave bait or...) waddle painfully over to their cars, then get in and drive.

It inspires confidence that I'm surrounded on the road by able-bodied drivers with enough physical and mental fitness to keep their two-ton examples of 1970s engineering from imprinting the hood ornament into my backside as I try to pedal my way home.

Their right to drive should extend only as far as my right to continue breathing.

My vote: test 'em annually starting at age 65, and give 'em cab fare if they fail.

czl

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Trillian said...

Thanks for the comments, Nick - I see we agree on the genius of Douglas Adams. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home