Tuesday, January 24, 2006

You can't always get what you want

Hmmm.

I'm not really thrilled with the election results. While I thought we needed a change of leadership, Steven wasn't what I was really hoping for. Since it's a minority government, I can only hope that he won't be able to shimmy himself too far up Bush's ass or start quoting scripture in the House of Commons.

Based on the election results, there appear to be a whole lot of homophobic, bible-thumping Philistines in rural Canada (and especially in Alberta, but we already knew that).

At this point, I'm really glad I'm back in the city.

3 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I'm kind of liking this whole minority government thing - it stops one party from charging madly off in the wrong direction, dragging the whole government along with them, and pissing off a whole lot of people. Now they have to do a juggling act to keep everybody at least a little bit happy - no big winners, but no big losers either.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Steve said...

On CNN, the fact that Harper is PM-elect has been portrayed as an example of how Canadians are rejecting liberalism in favour of U.S.-style conservatism--obviously a gross oversimplification.

My interpretation of the election is that many people were fed up with cronyism and corruption. Many Liberal voters went further to the left as well as the right, and most were turned off by the negative tone of the campaign.

Is that on the mark? I'm a neophite in my attempts to understand Canadian politics...

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

I think you're on the mark, Steve. People wanted a change and a lot felt that the Conservatives were the only game in town. An Environics survey supports this.

I agree with sxKitten that a minority government is the best possible scenario. I would have loved to see the NDP as the opposition. That would have been interesting. Give it a couple of years and the Liberals will be back in. I guarantee it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home