Monday, October 31, 2005

Sweet Oblivion

While going through Frankie's school planner (the teacher makes us check off that he's done his homework and sign it - in blue ink only, please!) a couple of pieces of paper fell out. One was a field trip waiver for a field trip he had long ago been on(hmmm, apparently school liability wasn't a problem), and the other was a note from a girl. There was a cute drawing of her and him holding hands with two little kids. She had helpfully labeled the people: "Me", "Frankie", "Ashley" and "Frankie Jr.". It was signed XOXO P. + Frankie forever!

I nearly laughed out loud.

I asked Frankie about it. He said that P. had given it to him. I asked if he had read it. He said no. I asked him to. A look of shock and horror crossed his face. I suggested that maybe 10 was too young to have a girlfriend.

His reply?

"But, Mom! I didn't KNOW she was my girlfriend!"

Good grief! When do boys become less oblivious?

8 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

just checking.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Chris said...

When do boys become less oblivious?

Some of them never do.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I second sxKitten's words.

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

This sounds very much like a young version of me. The older version of me is more like , "but I didn't know she was flirting with me." (or I wasn't sure). (or checking me out).

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Trillian said...

Yeah - boys are so pathetic, they're kind of cute.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Dean said...

That's me all over. Boys just aren't as good at the social game. It's where we get our 'bull in a china shop' rep. We just aren't aware of all that stuff.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Dean - just checking, here. You do know that I'm interested, right?

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Funny you should mention the oblivious thing. Something in me suspects that boys never quite outgrow it. Even after being immersed in marriage and kids for longer than it took me to become a teenager in the first place, I still have no radar for this sort of thing.

My wife keeps me pointed in the right direction. When I'm confused about relationship things, I ask her. She's quite understanding, given my whole guy heritage and all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home