Friday, April 29, 2005

Finally!

Well, as you are aware (and those of you who aren't: shame on you), Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (the movie) opens today. I have mixed feelings on it. I was really excited when they were filming the movie, but my optimism has been taking a downward spiral the last couple of weeks as reviews have come in. I'm taking M.J. Simpson's review with a grain of salt at this point. I read the biography he did of DNA, and quite honestly, the man has no sense of humor.

I also have to keep in mind that the books were different from the radio plays, which were different from the t.v. shows, which were different from the records, which were different from the radio play scripts. Each incarnation of HHGTG has been different, and so we cannot expect the movie to rigidly adhere to the books. Also - DNA wrote most of the script, so this is his vision. Also - it's just a f@#king movie.

Arthur and I will be going out tonight to see it. If it's appropriate, we'll take Frankie, as he loved the books (and he thinks Mos Def is the 'bomb' ever since he saw the Italian Job).

Here's me crossing my fingers, and hoping for the best.

8 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger HollyBids said...

You don't know me, but I ran across your blog by hitting "next blog" after reading my friend's blog and I liked your posts enough to come back.
Anyway, today I looked at your links and saw your link to "Make a Flake" which reminds me how small this world is because my good friend's husband designed that page! I sent her your blog address so she may tell you the same thing.
SO! I'm going to check out The Hitchiker movie this weekend as well, I'm working on reading the book right now and wanted to have it read before watching the movie, but I'm giving in and seeing the movie before I've finished. I've been sad about the reviews too, hopefully the reviewers just haven't understood Adams' sense of humor.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger HollyBids said...

By the way, if you're interested, www.hollyslife.com

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Carmi said...

I eagerly await your report.

Not that it will determine whether or not we attend - our eldest is clamoring to go, so go we shall - but I can't wait to hear your assessment.

I hope this isn't the last Adams book to hit the theatre. I'll go mad if our cinematic future is composed solely of George Lucas castoffs.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger sxKitten said...

So how was it?

Not that we'll get to see it before it's out on DVD, but still ... inquiring minds want to know what real people whose opinions we respect think about it.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Wheelson said...

I just got back from seeing it, in Canada no less. I also stopped at Tim Hortons on the way home for some coffee. OMG, they make a fine cup of coffee. Seriously, I'm a big time coffee snob and their coffee is really good. Not high class good, just down home all around good.

Anyway I liked the movie. I too was aprehensive about seeing it due to the reviews. I'm not into rating movies any more because how can you compare one movie to another? I also will not compare this movie to the books or the radio series. They are different. For better or for worse this is the movie they made and so I'm just going to enjoy it THE movie version of my favorite story, and enjoy it I did.

Some of my favorite parts were the look on Arthur's face when he enters the factory floor and Trillian showing Arthur the Heart of Gold's kitchen.

Can't wait to hear what you and the rest of your readers thought.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Wheelson, Carmi, SxKitten et. al.: See review above (which I believe you have). Wheelson - thanks for visiting Canada and having a Tim's. It truly is an every day good coffee (sometimes twice a day!).

HollyBids: Talk about a small world! My friend Joram found the link and sent it (and I quote) "to like a bazillion people" so your friend is famous without knowing it. I love Make a Flake! I checked out your blog and it's really cool - much more sophisticated than my tired little template!

Cheers!
Trillian

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
ffxi gardening

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a gardening software
site/blog. It pretty much covers gardening softwarerelated stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home