Monday, October 18, 2004

The Greatest Canadian...NOT!

CBC started The Greatest Canadian last night. Canadians around the world nominated people for the show. CBC showed the Top 50 most popular nominations, and then showed the Top 10 – who will be showcased in one hour shows over the next 5 weeks.

Arthur and I made a bet about who would be in the top 10 (and no, I’m not going to tell you what the wager was!). I lost because Don Cherry made the list, and not Marshall McLuhan!!!! I’m sorry, Don Cherry may be many things (annoying, obnoxious, loud, irritating, brash…), but a Great Canadian he is not. This is what happens when hockey fans don’t have enough to do. They vote hockey people into lists they don’t belong.

Hmmm. Let me think. Who’s the Greatest Canadian? Pierre Trudeau? Fredrick Banting? Alexander Graham Bell? Terry Fox? David Suzuki? Lester B. Pearson? John A. MacDonald? Tommy Douglas? Maybe even Wayne Gretzky*?. No, no. Clearly it must be Don Cherry. Good fucking lord.

*who is no doubt the best hockey player of all time, though I would be embarrassed if I were him, being up against all of these people who helped shape our country and our world!

3 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm right there with you, T! I think there must be no small amount of nepotism - or whatever passes for it at the Mother Corp. - going on. Seriously, let us observe the following:
- Don Cherry, CBC Employee.
- The Greatest Canadian, CBC Production
- Wendy Mesley, CBC Pop Tart

And they forgot the Tim Horton's dude. How could they forget the man who singlehandedly laid the foundation for the blighting of the exurban landscape? He and he alone is responsible for the rapid proliferation of drive-through lanes from sea to shining sea.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Actually, Carmi. It's funny you mention Tim Horton. I wondered why he didn't make the Top 50 either. I checked the site, and absolutely no one nominated him. I was a bit surprised. I mean if Brett Hart and Jim Carrey can be on the list, I think Tim Horton can be too.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Trillian said...

Wheelson - you're actually right. Bell was American. He just lived in Brantford, Ontario most of the time (and made his historic first phone call there), so we've adopted him. Much the same way we've adopted John Irving. Also, you'll be happy to hear that John Candy was in the Top 50. Shockingly Dan Ackroyd, The Tragically Hip, and William Shatner were not on the list. Shocking.

Mmmmm. Poutine. Pass me the gravy and cheese curds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home