Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Get Your Own!

I’d like to make a comment about Commenters. Until the advent of the “Next Blog” button* I found cool blogs the old-fashioned way – through the bloggers who commented on my blog. I’d check out their blogs, enjoy them, and then find links to other cool blogs on their site. It was iterative and interesting - like an adventure, without all the trouble of getting out of my office chair. That’s how I find about 90% of the blogs I read.

But here’s a curious twist. There are a number of active Commenters who HAVE NO BLOG! This is very irksome – especially when the comments they leave are witty and interesting, and I think to myself, “I bet this guy’s blog is great!” It’s so disappointing to click on the link to their profile and find out, alas, nothing is there.

It’s cool that non-bloggers read blogs and all, and I’ll take all the readership I can get – especially when they’re the well-written and fascinating people that I’ve been lucky enough to stumble upon. But I think it’s time for those of you (Dean) with no blog, to go ahead and create one. Go on! It doesn’t hurt. Not much, anyway.

*which is both a blessing and a curse – but that post has been done to death, and besides if it weren’t for that button, we would not have Wheelson’s link to Blogs of Pure Comedic Genius, but I digress.

9 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Dean has a blog. It's great. I link to it off my site if you'd like to view it.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger keauxgeigh said...

Hehe, I've been meaning to post about the "Next Blog" function for a while. The problem is coming across a lot of CRAP blogs among the occassional serendipitous ones, like yours at first blush, I like your blog's "voice". I prefer going to the recently published blogs page and choosing from interesting titles. I'm not sure I like bloggers comments leading to profile pages, but I'm not sure why.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Diva - ahhh. I'm guessing he's Anacronyms! Dean has no user profile, so being the technopeasant that I am, I had no idea there was a blog! Sorry, Dean!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

One day, we shall all have online homes. Until that day arrives, there's Monsanto.

Seriously, I'll readily admit that I'm antediluvian when it comes to discovering new and good blogs. I follow the comments because I have a secret desire to replicate the experiences of Hansel and Gretel.

I haven't really gotten into the whole Next Blog thing yet. I fear it's like a spinning wheel that threatens to launch me into the next literary dimension if I don't belt myself in first.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Even if they have blogs on other service they can just fill out the address in the my profile page so it takes em to that blog.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger T.J. said...

You know what's even worse?

I totally righteous blog like this that is totally funny and read-worthy, and I can't comment.

WTH?

T.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger sungoddess said...

The upswing to this for me, is that in reading my blog, a few people have been inspired to start their own and that is a good thing for both us.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Janet said...

You make an interesting point. There are quite a few mysterious, semi-anonymous bloggers out there. They have created a profile, but little else. I think for many the pressure lies in what to write. Obviously the lack of "interesting for all" topics hasn't hurt us any, but some people resent the need to be ON all the time.

Then there are those that blog about nothing worth mentioning ALL OF THE TIME.

I guess it's a catch-22 all around.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Dean said...

As a person named in this post, I must say that I am guilty. I had a blog (have a blog, in fact) but I hadn't shared my profile. I do believe that I've taken care of that little detail now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home