Thursday, September 30, 2004

Social Gaff

Are you ever innocuously doing something and all of a sudden someone incorrectly points out some horrible social gaff you’ve apparently made in front of everyone? And then you get this cold feeling in your stomach as it plunges into your intestines, and you feel like crying (not so much because of the alleged gaff, but because someone would embarrass you in front of everyone and assume that they’re so superior to you that they know a social mistake when you, clearly, do not). Then they see the look on your face, and try to make it better by joining you or making idle chit chat, and you just really want to tell them to fuck off, but you just put your headphones on instead and drop out of the conversation.

No? I guess it’s just me then.

3 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Kate said...

All the horrible social gaffs I've ever made have been pointed out by someone. It happens to me so often, unfortunately, that I just have to shrug it off.
One time I was at my friend's apartment, with some siblings and said friend's roommate, on whom I had an enormous crush. A douche commercial came on TV, and we started talking about how stupid they are. So I look at everyone and get prepared to say my line, because I am so damn clever. I say, "Sometimes I just don't feel so fresh," just as I let off the biggest, loudest fart of my life. Everyone died laughing, including me, but I was also blushing and totally mortified.
Sorry about the idiot. Too bad they're everywhere.

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

A little self righteous crudity helps. embarassmenbt can easily be pushed into anger as in how dare they make me feel this way. Then yas just start out with a, "Well I guess I'm a F***ing idiot. Thank you for pointing that out to everyone." My brother is truly a master of this technique.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Trillian said...

Chellee - OMG. That's too funny.
Richard - I think I'm going to try the f***ing idiot line next time.
Oz - as much as I hate to admit it - it's true - who wants to keep making the same mistake again and again? On the other hand, there are ways of making people aware they've gaffed without humiliating them in a crowd. In this particular instance, the perpetrator ended up looking like the stupid one (well, at least in my opinion - I could be wrong!).

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home