Monday, February 21, 2005

Touched by a Blogger

I have to say that I'm surprised to find myself worrying and caring about you blogging strangers. It's amazing how none of us (or very few of us) have ever met, yet I feel like I know many of you so well. For instance, if someone asked me which of my favorite bloggers was most likely to post about the Mac Mini, I would say, without missing a beat, Wheelson. If I had to guess who would find the most outrageous little films or funny websites, I would automatically think of Jennie. And if I had to say whose posts I can best relate to as a woman and a mom, it would be SxKitten's.

When my favorite bloggers post about things that have happened, I have found myself reacting like a concerned friend, which was a bit of a surprise for me.

In the last couple of weeks, I have been blown away by a few bloggers. I was very disappointed to find out that Diva Drip wasn't going to be keeping up her blog anymore. What a sense of loss! And then Amelia turns up after a month long absence (in which so many of us worried about what could possibly have happened to her!). And when I read her post, I cried. What's even crazier is that my mom, who reads many of the same blogs I do, called me on the weekend, and in much the same tone she reserves for telling me that bad things have happened to my relatives, told me what happened to Amelia. Obviously, our concern for remote strangers is hereditary.

But you see, none of us are really strangers, are we? We share thoughts and opinions more freely on our blogs than we likely do in real life. And unlike parties with our friends, when we're blogging, we get to present our message exactly how we want without anyone cutting us off. People in blogging land get to hear the best of us, and it becomes apparent rather quickly what makes us tick.

It's true that some bloggers might be totally fooling me. Maybe they are blogging geniuses that are fooling us all, like Blah. But I doubt it. I feel like I know many of the bloggers I read every week (and in some cases I do). It's nice to make a connection, no matter how remote. We're human after all, and we thrive on contact.

So, to all you bloggers out there, and you know who you are, you've made an impact on me. And that's just about the best thing in the world I could ask for.

8 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I know exactly what you mean, Trillian. I never would have dreamed I'd be lured into this circle of friends the way I have been. I tried to blog anonymously but I feel as though through the words we have all written, some of you know me so much better than some of my closest friends.

I feel for Amelia, she did nothing wrong and doesn't deserve that.

I will still be around and commenting. I just need to step back from publishing publicly for a bit. I may put some pictures out there every once in awhile. Who knows - maybe I'll start publishing on the blog again someday, we'll see.

But I have enjoyed everyone's writing so much, nothing could keep me away from your blogs, so expect many comments.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Chris said...

It's a very strange phenomenon - you probably know more about my inner thoughts and feelings than any of my family or friends (except Dean, of course). I'm very flattered that you can relate to what I write - the feeling is mutual.

I had a similar reaction to yours with Amanda when I read about Ross Thomas (halfacanuck) leaving his wife for reasons very similar to those of my ex. I felt heart-sick for his wife, Caz, and turned to blogging to deal with my reaction. Which she read, and replied to. I know more about what she's been through in the last few months than I do of most of my friends in the regular world.

I think the phenomenon is a good one - it lets us build our own little villages, where we can vent, and cry, and laugh, and share, knowing the people who are reading do so voluntarily, because they feel some sort of connection to us. There are no preconceived expectations, no family history, no reason to self-censor.

And it gives us a way to reach out to people thousands of miles away.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

I know what you mean, Trillian. Sometimes I think my Blog-friends know more about me than my real friends.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I know what you're talking about. I had no idea that I'd feel close to people that I met "on the internet"! Only weird people meet friends there, right?

I was sorry to read about Amelia, though I hadn't read her blog before. And I will not like it when I have to delete the Drooling Drip from my bookmarks, but I might delay that for a bit, just in case.

Nice pic on your profile. Believe it or not (although I'll never post a photo to prove this) we look a bit alike.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Yes, a very nice picture. You can't be 33! You look so young.

Chellee...(sigh)...deleting my bookmark. That seems so final, but I asked for it. I just needed a break. We'll see...I do miss posting though.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Is it that the comments now inclue the photos that more people are including them?

Yes, the concern for people who aren't quite strangers is about as human as you can get. Reading so much about nother persons thoughts and feelings just grabs at ones emotions.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

You are all very kind! And, I've been trying to add my picture for a while, but lacked some of the technical common sense needed to make the picture the right size. Lol.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

You've confirmed that there truly is no limit to the power of words.

I've always used written media to build friendships. From writing in a notebook to my then-girlfriend (who I later married) to having an always-fascinating dialog with blog-friends around the world, I find words bring us together more tightly than we ever could have imagined.

I almost feel as if I'm in some people's headspace, and that if I met some of y'all in real life, we'd instantly pick up like old friends.

Gotta love it.

Wonderful post, Trillian. You always hit those good literary-thought buttons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home