Tuesday, October 26, 2004

I Don't Want a Pokie!

I’m taking the family for their flu shots tonight (for all you Americans out there - I'm honestly not trying to rub it in). I’d signed up to get the vaccine at work, as we have a clinic here every year, but there’s also a clinic in my town tonight, and I’d rather get vaccinated sooner rather than later. Last year all of us except my son came down with the A-fuegian flu and it was horrible. I’d like to spare Frankie this year.

I mentioned our trip at the dinner table last night and my daughter had a giant flip-out. The second I mentioned the word “shot” that was it – complete and utter breakdown (my bad – I should have said “vaccination”). “I don’t want a pokie!” she wailed. I tried to explain that getting this pokie would save her getting several pokies should she have to go to the hospital like she did last year. There was no calming her down.

I finally had to tell her I was joking (who would joke about that?) and she told me that it was a good joke - "You really tricked me, Mommie!" Wait till we get to the clinic! We may have to blindfold her and have her go first (before she knows what’s going on). Wish me luck.

UPDATE: We got our shots last night and it didn't go as bad as I thought, nor was I able to secure the magic dermal medicine that keeps it from hurting. Little girl exit polls indicated that "It didn't hurt that bad". She was very brave and got to have a big chocolate for her troubles.

8 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger S said...

How utterly horrific! Your poor daughter.

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog! Best, Sara

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

As a goof with a touch of hypochondria (Just about anything from constipation to skin tags can keep me from sleep with vivid hallucinations of nasty painful cancers) I'm suprised at how easily I blow off the possibility of the flu. A couple days of diahrea some fever maybe an upset stomach and then its over like you were never sick. (And people die from it every year but I that thought hasn't broken through the life experience barrier). There is also the fact that its not like I have a job so I'mo not going to come in contact with sick people so I really dont have much to worry about.

It gives me an excuse to stay unemployed longer. Not vaccinated can't risk exposure.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger WDV said...

I refuse to get vaccinated. If it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

I was never really a believer in vaccinations until last year when I got a-fuegian and thought I was going to die. I have to say that it was worse than recovering from my heart surgery!

On a side note, we didn't get there last night as, ironically, I wasn't feeling well (I think I'm getting the flu!!). We'll try again tomorrow.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Good luck with that Trillian. Perhaps you could try bait and switch. Or, do they make over the counter stuff that you can rub on to numb the skin? Oh, maybe some of that tooth stuff would work.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Get some EMLA - you have to ask your pharmacist for it, but it's available without a prescription. You apply it where the injection will go about an hour ahead of time, then cover the cream with a protective film (make sure you get the EMLA kit that comes with the covering patches, or you'll be fighting with Saran wrap and tape). I think it's under $20, and definitely worth the investment if you have a needle-phobic child.

I used it for both my kids for all their vaccinations with great success. My daughter is a total coward, but didn't even whimper when she had her shots.

Good luck!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Pokies beat suppositories any day.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Trillian said...

Thanks for all of your support and ideas! We've had to wait until tomorrow to get the flu shot. I'm going to the pharmacy tonight to get the EMLA stuff!

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home