Friday, June 11, 2004

About the novel, sort of

So - I promised that I'd tell you more about my novel-in-progress, and have as yet, not done so. In my past life (before I became an IT writer) I was a project manager for a small software company devoid of business ethics - I did that for five years until the stress of it chased me into my current lower-paying but slightly more fulfilling job of writing about IT, (rather than worrying about IT).

Well, then - my novel is about the escapades of a project manager for a morally-bankrupt software company. Obviously I'm drawing on a lot of my own experiences, plus stuff that my friends and colleagues have lived through. It's hard not to have friends and colleagues in IT - everyone's in IT. That reminds me of a quote from Douglas Adams (my hero):

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001), The Salmon of Doubt, p. 95


Therefore - being as IT took off while me and my friends were 15 to 35, we all have careers in it. Lovely. As far as I can tell, none of them really enjoys working in IT, but I think the real issue here is that none of them enjoys working, period. Who can blame them. Which is why I really want to kick this novel writing in to high gear, perhaps make a comfortable living on it, and work from home, where I meet the children as they get off the school bus, and walk off into the sunset...

Seriously, though, I like writing, especially when it's not about picking the right antispam product for your enterprise, and I'd like to do it for a living. Obviously, if I had the choice, I'd rather if someone just gave me money every week and I didn't have to do anything, but there doesn't seem to be many openings for those positions. Maybe I'm looking on the wrong job board...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home